Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Indian Premier League (IPL) - 4 - T20 Tournament a Kill Joy!



Well when I began this blog I had plenty of stuff about cricket in mind to keep this blog going and then somewhere the line things didn't seem to be falling in place. Tonight as I sit in tranquility and reflect on the days gone by, it all seems to make sense. IPL turned out be a kill joy to my enthusiasm I guess! 

2nd Of April India won the cricket world cup only for the second time since the tornaments inception. A drought ended after 28 years my Dhoni and his men. And then 6 days later IPL 4 began on April 08, Friday 2011, 8 PM IST. Defending champions CSK played KKR in the opening match.

Something wasn't right about IPL this time around. Probably the Indian victory at the world cup had not yet been fully relished by the nation and the tournament with a total of 74 matches in all had begun! Thats the reason I call it Kill joy! However having said that, IPL has been a great opportunity on its own, for a lot of talented lads to showcase their skills. The only thing I wish is IPL could have been more enjoyable had there been a sufficient time gap between the two big events.

Now with 41 days of this tournament having been completed we seem to be approaching the business end of the tournament. The point table as on date as below reflects the top 4 teams likely the make it to the play off ;

Team  (Match Played-Won-Lost-No Result-Points-Net Run Rate)

CSK  (13-9-4-0-18- +0.544)
RCB  (13-8-4-1-17- +0.283) 
MI     (12-8-4-0-16- +0.245) 
KKR (12-7-5-0-14- +0.403)

Priti Zinta's Kings IX Punjab seems to be pushing their luck with a beautiful comeback game against RCB on 17th May with Gilly hitting the purple patch with his superb knock of 106 off just 55 balls. Punjab now has 14 points of 13 matches with a NRR of + 0.271. Cricket is a funny game, one more win for Punjab and a defeat for KKR in their last game against Pune, and Zinta's Kings IX might make it to the playoff. Oh what a disappointment would that be for SRK's team. "Death at the hands of Dada!" That’s what the newspapers will scream! IPL T20 is a funny game, you never know.

As far as my personal favourites for this edition of IPL, well no guesses Royal Challengers Bangalore. No points for guessing why, U can take me out of Bangalore but you can't take Bangalore out of me.... ha ha ha... I owe a lot to that city... fond memories of my growing up years.

No comments: